Field Service Technician/Engineer
Durst Image Technology US has been an industry leader in Digital Imaging for over 80 years. Established in 1936, Durst is a fast-growing company based in Rochester, NY that sells and services large format, label, and corrugated ink jet printers in North America. Our customers are commercial service providers and industrial enterprises, with products requiring a printed surface design.
At Durst, you frequently hear “This is the best job I’ve ever had!” from HQ and field employees alike. We are a financially strong, growing company with products and technology that are on the cutting edge of the digital printing market. Our core, 6-month FSE training program is thorough and includes weeks at our Rochester, NY HQ and in the field shadowing other FSEs. You get to form strong relationships with customers and delight them with outstanding service. You’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you made a positive, lasting impact every day. And, you can rest assured that Durst has your back. You can ask literally anyone in the company for help with anything and they are more than happy to assist. Leaders are respected because they walk the walk. Durst prides itself on continued personal and professional development and treating employees like family.
Are you the go-to for fix-it assistance in your circle of family and friends? Are you a DIY person who likes working with your hands and mind, tackling challenges, and taking things apart and fixing them? If yes, we want to talk to you!
Here are some examples of the skills/experience/hobbies we find typical in our FSE employees:
- RC Car and Planes
- Robotics experience
- Automotive repair
- Motorcycle rebuild and repair
- Bicycle repair/modifications
- Small engine repair
- Automation machine repair
- Mechatronics students
- Machine assemblers or repair
- Marine mechanics
Now, a bit more about what you’ll be doing in this job:
The purpose of the Field Service Engineer is to ensure timely and cost-effective installation, repair, removal/relocation, and technical support of Durst products while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction to all Durst customers. Your specific responsibilities include:
- Provide timely and effective installation of Durst products and services.
- Perform effective initial customer operator/maintenance training, as required.
- Maximize Durst equipment uptime through timely response and effective/efficient repair and maintenance to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Efficiently manage utilization of Durst assets (parts, tools, test equipment, autos) and resources (travel expenses, phone, etc.) to achieve targeted financial results.
- Communicate and interact with customers, sales and other service counterparts in a positive, courteous and professional manner and always present a professional image to Durst customers.
- Complete all job-related administrative aspects (call reports, part returns, time/expense reporting, etc.) on time and error free.
What you bring to the table:
To be considered for this position, you must have these qualifications:
- Great attitude and eagerness to learn
- Strong mechanical aptitude and good dexterity
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Proficient computer skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience or training within some form of mechanical discipline
- Willingness to travel as needed, typically up to 75% of the time (or more during your initial training period) – mostly overnight travel via car and plane throughout USA & Canada
- Valid driver license and willingness to do pre-employment drug and criminal background checks
- Ability to safely lift up to 50 pounds and push, pull and reach for boxes and parts weighing up to 50 pounds
Bonus points for these nice-to-have but not required qualifications:
- Associates degree or equivalent training and/or experience
- At least a few years of field service experience
- Familiarity with reading schematics and wiring diagrams
- Hands-on experience with hand tools
- Working knowledge of multimeters for electrical testing
- Working knowledge of AC and DC up to 3 phase
- Strong understanding of computer hardware and software
- Previous experience in printing or related industry
If you can see yourself thriving in this role and you meet all the must-have qualifications listed above, we want to hear from you ASAP!